Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cat and Rita





























My childhood and teenage years are dominated by the music my parents loved.
I was 15 years old when I discovered RAGE for the first time; Salt and Pepper "Push It". I was aghast; it was so totally gross to me. I couldnt understand why people would choose to listen to that over Cat Stevens, Joe Cocker, Rita Coolidge, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Joni Mitchell, The Stones et al: the list goes on and on and on. You name it - I can sing it.
My sis and I speak in lyrics; such is the impact of our musical upbringing.
One of the most pretty things I've ever found in my life, are the words written inside my parents' Rita Coolidge album case:

"She aint ashamed to show her soul,
Why, she'll sell it for a song
But that don't mean she's easy
Or right for going wrong

So let her be the lady, Lord,
She wants so bad to be;
And let her win the gentle man,
That she was born to please."

This has always made the greatest of sense to me. Without any apology.




.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails